Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Walking among the convalescents


We took a bus into Naleczow today - 1 stop. A bus is really a passenger van, but that is the preferred mode of public transportation here.

There was a fabulous wooden church there. It struck me that no matter which church we go into, there are always people praying there. Kind of neat, to see that kind of faith. Just quietly sitting in the pew and praying. I wish I could have had better light in the church. It was very dark; ergo the photos sucked.

The convalescents were on the grounds of the sanatorium complex that we walked through. This brought back fond memories of my grandparents, who went there for various periods of convalescing associated with their myriad of chronic non-life threatening conditions, which always lead to a litany of description of symptoms and required medications. I remember visiting them as a kid and walking along the same paths among the majestic trees that line the park. This town is famous for its healing spring waters, which we of course, have in the bottled form here at my aunt's.

Who could resist posing with a bronze stature? Not me, that's for sure. I hope to be able to include the results here soon. We might also get to go to a Chopin concert there. I think I'm getting all worldly now!

I think my mother has figured out a way to eat regularly. They are a little bit 'loosey goosey' with the meal times here. Sometimes they're like snacks, and truthfully, we were getting a bit antsy for regular, hot food. So, anytime we are out, she proposes to eat. Not so good for the wallet, but hey, leads to a full belly in the end. Today, we had lovely meat pierogies, as well as hunter's stew. I'm still full and it's 10 p.m. But, this particular establishment had BIRDS on the menu. I kid you not. Apparently, they're a delicacy. So are snails, but you don't see me rushing out to sample.




Tomorrow we head to a bona fide outdoor market. I can't wait.

No comments: