Saturday, November 1, 2008

Of Toilets and Men


We took a walk today.

It turned out that we were taking our lives literally in our hands, as we walked along the side of a country road for about two kilometers. It's a national holiday here, so people are going to the cemetery in droves, and they do not slow down for pedestrians.

Nothwithstanding the mortal vehicular danger and my mother saying 'be careful' every twenty feet or so, I was happy. I could take as many pictures and stop as many times as I wanted. The fun part came in when we came to an old train station for the village of Sadurki. It had the most fabulous water tower, which had a set of very intricate wrought iron stairs. And with my wrought iron obsession, this was a very nice thing to photograph. What more could a girl ask for?

But then we were walking back on the way from the train station, and there was a WC. An honest to God European Water Closet. Let me tell you, it was preceded by a stench that was quite ovepowering. The best part was when I came in. My mother said, "don't go in there," so how could I resist?

The toilet was a HOLE!!! Concrete poured into the shape of a box, with a hole in the middle. And out of that hole came stuff that should really stay on the inside of toilets, or rather their plumbing. I, of course, could not resist taking a photo of it. I have been threatened with my life if I put it up on here. As we were leaving the train station WC area, a man came over and beseeched us to "call someone" about the toilet problem. He thought that we were some sort of reporters from a newspaper who were looking for a story. About Polish toilets, no less. I was tickled pink. He said that the mens' was worse. And that I should go in there and photograph it as well. He actually insisted. Adn when I refused, he offered to take the photos for me. Ha. Like I would let my camera out of my hands.

The walk was lovely.

1 comment:

Olga said...

Hola, sister dear. Nice to hear that you're able to blog and keep us up to date. Dad and I are doing well. I spent the weekend here in Hamilton, having made Halloween plans with Alex (which ended up being busted, but whatever!). I'll keep YOU up to date on my own blog. You know where it is. ;)

PS - Try not to let your guilt each you up about the kids...they'll be fine for twenty days without you. :)