Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let me tell you about a little treat called 'nalewka'

We are in the midst of very foggy and rainy weather here, it seems.

Today, our adventure was to head out to the outdoor market. This I recall from my childhood, except not that particular one, of course. The day was not particularly favourable, with a slight drizzle; however, the vendors set out their wares. You could buy everything from felt-lined rubber boots to rat poison and everything in between. There was a stand with kitchen cabinets, but I did not see one with the sink. We meandered, bought a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and ended up going home. We were done by 10 a.m.

I am having a hard time doing nothing. I realize this will be a complaint falling on deaf ears, but the morning hours after we got back stretched out a bit. Again, the meal times are a bit awry, so I can't rely on those to guide my day. Thank God for the laptop. I am keeping myself amused with it.

So, to get to the meat of the matter, my family makes this heavenly potion called 'nalewka.' Since I am of age, I can partake. It's between a spirit and a liqueur. We've had a plum-based nalewka and today we had a raspberry-based one. This is one of those things that you have to be careful with as it goes down quite nicely. But when you try to get up to the bathroom, all of a sudden the room does a little spin.

Cheers.

No comments: