Saturday, January 3, 2009

You're not in charge of me

It's so simple when you're five. Today, on the way to dinner, the bickering picked up speed. All of a sudden Ethan said to Leah - "stop bossing me around, you're not in charge of me, God is!" And I thought, how apropos and how simple it is when you're five. No big questions. It is how it is. He's the one in charge. He supersedes all else. I wonder when we lose the kind of big faith that we seem to inherently have. Does it happen quickly, or stealthily over time? It made me think of where I fit within this situation...where is my faith? I know it's there, but it's a bit trampled by everyday life. It's just moments like that snap you back to what's important. If it's as simple as that to a five-year-old, why is it not as simple to us when we get older? What gives, what changes? I haven't got the answers to those questions, but I'm glad that I took a minute today to think about them.

1 comment:

Olga said...

You get older, you lose sight of the path. Sometimes it's gone for only a little while, sometimes it's gone for most of your life. I dunno where my faith went. I know it's there SOMEWHERE, but it's not there in the old sense, that unchanging belief. Dunno, Kath. Wish I had the answer for that one!